Saturday 13 August 2016

Finished another Roman legion

Lucky Thirteenth:
Again, figures mostly by Companion Miniatures, with embossed shields (thanks to Happy Gordon in Newcastle!).
Progress has been faster recently, thanks to holiday time. There are eighty of these, plus a mounted legate and five casualty markers on dials.
Officers etc. are a mixture, mostly by Navigator Miniatures. This gives me thirteen of the fourteen legions I need for my mini-campaign of Philippi. Of course, if I had time to organise more I would!

The fourteenth legion will be something of a test. I have three batches of 24 Essex Miniatures Argyraspides with pila that I have been intending to use as the basis for Imitation Legions for our campaign, since we are going to need those in a while. Originally I got them for my Pontic army, but I have bought some more to beef them up. I reckon that I can add enough to a batch reasonably quickly to raise another legion; I already have the commands painted. Eventually I'll do that for three of them, and the plan is to produce another one from scratch to give me four of that type in total; they could then be used for newly raised legions. All I'd then need to do is paint up a few more with Hellenistic commanders and they can do double duty as imitations as well.

11 comments:

  1. Amazing job and great pictures as always, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, it's always good to hear from you

      Delete
    2. Well done Paul and great presentation!
      Take care

      Delete
    3. Hi Robert, thanks for looking!

      Delete
  2. Eighty legionnaires at once? Terrific! The white shields look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. They first see action in October, so we shall see how they actually fight.

      Delete
    2. Who cares how they fight. They will look smashing on the field of battle regardless!

      Delete
  3. Hi Caliban, do you have a secret supply of Companion Miniatures? I rarely see these figures for sale nowadays, even on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, funny you should ask, I did indeed have a secret stash. A mate bought loads of them when a games shop in Glasgow was selling off stock for a relocation, and I bought the lot from him. I think he masy still have quite a few Peninsular British Napoleonics by the same company, if you know anyone who might be interested...

      Delete
  4. Well. I also wondered whether you had the Designer locked in a cellar producing these figures for your collection!You must have the biggest collection of Companions Caesareans I have seen. I missed out buying them, and used foundry instead.Unfortunately it looks like they will never be cast again which is a pity.
    Tell your mate, use Ebay, I bet he could get a good price as these figures are popular but rare.

    ReplyDelete