Friday 4 August 2017

On the painting tray: August 2017

More Warband type German nutters:
These are coming along quite nicely. Originally, the intention was to keep the campaign going via email, but the Glasgow group has had a series of unfortunate health issues plus summer holidays, so nothing has been happening there. It's possible I might have enough Germans painted soon to play the next campaign battle myself, since I already have the Romans. Above shows the start I've made on the close formation warbands that make up the bulk of the forces; when these are completed, I'll have five units of 48 figures, and I'll need another three plus some other types.
This one shows the painting queue. From the left as you look at it there are some finished guys ready for basing, and then a production line of figs at various stages of completion. I used to paint in batches of six to eight figures at a time, but I've found that with work being so heavy I'm not able to commit to regular ongoing gaming. In turn, this means that motivation is dipping, not to mention time and available energy. The compromise is to paint three at a time, which produces an illusion of faster progress. It takes longer to get a full unit on the table, but I find that, psychologically, a quick turnaround of a smaller number of completed figures is now working better for me, because I can at least see some results reasonably quickly. Whatever works...

6 comments:

  1. Another advantage of having completed troops is the ability to play skirmish games with the completed figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress is progress! Uou should paint at a pace that you are comfortable and satisfied with. Enjoy!
    P.S. I hate painting warbands! Too much variation in colors and clothing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Dean; at least these guys don't need checks or tartans...

      Delete
  3. Good progress and sadly hobby time has to fit around real life.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross, I know what you mean. I still miss Carronade and Claymore, though...

      Delete
  4. Nice looking irregular types, I know what you mean I've been painting units of 24+ it can get to be hard work!I needed to paint 3 figures and they took (relatively ) no time at all!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete