Tuesday 7 April 2015

Numidian Light Infantry

I've been plodding along with these guys in the run up to the holiday weekend:
 Four units of 18 light infantry, plus a command base. You can tell the command guy because he has a big shield - must be rich or something.
Each unit also has a small command group of its own. No big shields, but they can afford proper white clothing. One of them even has a sword!
I went for quite bold but random designs on the shields. presumably they are made from various animal hides and bits of leather stitched together - goatskin and whatever else comes to hand.
The bases are deliberately sparse to make them look like scrubland. Figures are by Crusader Miniatures. I have another 144 of them for the closer based units to go with the Companion Miniatures figs I already have. Crusader's style works well with Companion. Crusader also offers other foot options as part of their range: trained infantry and also imitation legionaries. For the moment, I'm sticking with these generic warriors. I will eventually get around to the legionary types when we need them later in the campaign.

I think this will be quite an unusual army - I don't think I've ever seen a whole Numidian army, at least not in this size, 15mm being more common. I'm going to need them, though - Jugurtha has appeared and is busy looting chunks of Roman North Africa, along with the odd massacre or two of Roman citizens. Reprisal will be on its way soon...

8 comments:

  1. Very impressive and very nice, well done with these Numidian LI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to be quite a horde! Very nice...and I really like the sparse bases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous looking troops - and plenty of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb, I don't think I've ever seen a Numidian army in 28 so kudos! I really like your skin tones and shields. This muster will make Marius most unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monty - I don't think there's anything that made Marius happy!

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking horde of Numidians! Light and fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great and very scruffy looking too. I like the skin and garment colors. I'm doing my Romans/barbarians using Blue Moon 18mm figs and they don't make any Numidians sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joseph, thanks for looking. "Scruffy" is definitely a good word for them...

      Delete