Monday 6 May 2013

Companion Miniatures Spanish Cavalry

I've painted these guys as so-called 'long shield' cavalry, the relatively close formation, heavier guys used extensively by Carthage against Rome:
I acquired 36 of them, mostly unarmoured but with a smattering of men with circular bronze chest pieces.
That's a good number for most of the times I'll need massed shock cavalry, so I mixed them all in together to make two units of 18, or three of 12.
I bought some Gallic type standards from 1st Corps; half are boars and the other half (believe it or not) are chickens - I'll use the latter for my Celtiberians when I get around to them.
The boars will do for the rest of the Iberians, including this lot.
They look rather mean and nasty, probably because of the collection of grisly trophies, which I hope are Romans.  I stuck to the colour scheme I used for the Scutarii, ie mostly white tunics offset by the shields and different types of headgear.  I don't know when these will first see action, probably the next time we run an ancients game for the First Tuesday meeting at the club.  I'm thinking of Ilipa for that, so I need to get cracking with the rest of this army...

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic! These will give the Romans some real headaches for sure. Very nice work on this unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Paul!

    There is a real danger that I'll be picking up a Companion Spanish army, myself, soon... fingers crossed.

    Cheers, Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. a nice mass of cavalry. The pics are well worth clicking on..the Detail on the shields Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for looking everyone - do tell us more, Simon, is that army already painted?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, Paul, it's from someone's lead mountain. I'd need to paint them, so it could take me quite some time! ;-)

    Cheers, Simon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, I especially love the ground level shot. I'm going to look again and see if I can spot the chicken standards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Spanish cavalry! The Companion Spanish are still the best ancient Spanish range around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Monty, I eventually decided against using the chickens with this lot - I'm saving them for later! And I agree with Cyrus about these figures; it would be great if someone started making them again...

    ReplyDelete