Tuesday 1 February 2011

On the Painting Tray: February 2011

In January I finished twelve Latin cavalry for my Republican Roman army. In February, the plan is to do another twelve; once I have those, I'll take photos of the whole lot. I've also started using Testor's Dull Cote, which I ordered from Antenocitis Workshop. Up until now, my kids have all been too young to trust around something that smelly. I have always been intending to start using it because matt varnish always comes out with a sheen, which this product helps to remove.  Now that even my youngest is starting to do what she is told (at least around my paints), I decided it was time to start. I can always go back over the rest of the Romans with it later.

3 comments:

  1. Dullcote is very good, I use it all the time. It's a bit pungent though; I usually wait until Mrs Bat has gone to bed! I also use the spray (outdoors and only on a fine day).

    Cheers, Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon, I haven't been brave enough to try the spray yet! I think I'll stick with the brush for the moment.

    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bough some of this from the same place. Have to recommend this highly as the finish you get is great. That is flat matt.

    I was told to first use a gloss spray varnish first as this gives the protection, just the one one coat. Then finish with a single coat of dullcote for a pro finish with the protection underneath.

    It does stink though and I won't spray it indoors again after fumigating the house, think it;s got lots of nasty chemicals in it but these things tend to do!


    Cheers

    Russ

    ReplyDelete