Thursday 14 July 2011

Roman Army on Parade

My contribution to Greg's celebration of the 14th of July is my 25mm Republican Roman consular army for the 2nd Punic War:
Four legions, two for the Latins in white and two in red at the front - those are the Romans.  Complete with supporting cavalry and command figures.
Each legion comprises 24 Velites, 48 Hastati, 48 Principes, 24 Triarii and a command base of 4 figures: 124 figures per legion.
That comes to 496 legionaries.  I know there should strictly be double the number of Velites, but I couldn't be bothered.  Besides, I'd never use that many.
There are also 24 Roman Equites, 24 Latin Equites and 12 Latin Light Cavalry, for 60 cavalry figures.
Plus a base of 2 mounted generals for each wing, and another 2 for the overall commander (consul of the day). 
That makes a grand total of 562 figures, in 25mm of course.
And I'm not finished yet - I want another dozen light horse.  I'll order those in August.
Almost all of the figures are by 1st Corps, with some Newline Velites thrown in for good measure.  The lighter cavalry are by Crusader.  It took me two years to paint this lot, which is why I've just about had enough of Romans for a while...

11 comments:

  1. There must be something in the air, as everyone seems to be getting all their little men out for a big parade.

    Jolly nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fine looking army, Paul! I do love to see a big army on a table, it's what wargaming is all about, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! That´s one lovely army. Truly massive!!
    I see you use the smae boxes for transprt as I do ;-D
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, guys, I suppose it's one way to mark Bastille day! I took advantage of one of our few days of sunshine, hence all the garden paraphernalia in the background. The under-bed roll & store boxes are the best accessories I ever bought for gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice... and Bigredbat no longer looks as "lonely" mad as he did )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Pual, you can almost hear the sound of their march!!!!
    luca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn Paul. They look spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Greg, at least the Big Red Bat is in good company - we can all go mad together...

    Thanks, Luca. I think I need some sound of effects: tromp, tromp, tromp, or something like that.

    If you make it to Claymore, Brian, you'll see them at Magnesia. Want to join in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. An impressive collection and a great looking army! I really like 1st Corps figures they deserve to be more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely look impressive when 'on parade', hope to see them in the flesh at Claymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys, and apologies for not publishing your comments earlier. Just got back from a week working in Prague with sporadic internet access.

    ReplyDelete