Sunday 2 April 2017

On the painting tray: April 2017

Germans. Thousands of them! Well, the start of a large ancient German army to squish Romans. I'll be using Old Glory (25mm) with various shields and designs to get that wild and woolly look. The plan is to produce eight warbands of 48 figures, an elite warband of 40 figures, and two units of loose formation warbands/light infantry with 36 figures each. I'll then need 36 heavy cavalry, and maybe another 16 light horse. Plus command bases, of course. That should make a nice tribe. I'm thinking of making this my standard barbarian horde compostion for the period, which means I'd like to do the same numbers of Gauls and my old favourites, the Scordisci. And if I feel the need, I shall of course double the numbers to make some decent-sized armies...

12 comments:

  1. "Thousands" of Old Glory Germans in 25mm will be a sight to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan - I forgot to include the skirmish infantry too...

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing these. My Germans have stalled so I'm sure to take some inspiration from you. Unleash the hordes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ta much, it should be fun. I've been wanting to get back to warbands for a while now, and at least this will be easier than all that Celtic plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly do things in the grand style! Would you believe this , I was at a local bring n buy and I was able to get a pack of Companion Caesareans, so you don't own them all yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good find! Do they have embossed shields? Something like that is hard to replicate...

      Delete
    2. No, ordinary shields, they are the figures with cloaks, holding the gladius up.

      Delete
    3. That's good, because then you can use any designs you like. The embossed shields are lovely, but it was a real pain trying to get enough of one type together for a legion.

      Delete
    4. I don't think my painting is up to embossed shields!
      I have never seen Old Glory ancients on the table, could you do a comparison size shot with your Romans? I normally use Warlord's, but I don't like the over exuberant poses.

      Delete
    5. That's a good idea. I'll make up some infantry unit command bases and line them up with the Companion Miniatures Romans. Knowing my current rate of painting, that will be a few weeks away...

      Delete
  5. Lots of succes with the project!
    Looking forward to see the (spectacular!) result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Wim, thanks for the positive waves. I hope they turn out suitably grubby!

      Delete