Saturday 14 January 2012

Test for Plataea battlefield

This week I received the first batch of three for my attempt to make a full tabletop from cork tiles.  The idea is to have pretty much a fully interchangeable surface that will do for most Mediterranean to semi-arid areas:
 From the photos on the website of the company who makes them, Siesta Cork Tiles, I had thought these came in three elevations, but when I saw them, they really work in two - a sort of patchy level and some depressions. So I tested a couple by filling in some of the lower areas with textured paint and flocked them.  I know the flock won't look perfect and will come off in bits as it usually does, but it's a cheap and quick way to see if can get the look I want. The photo above shows a newly revamped unit of hoplites standing on the end result.  I'm reasonably happy with it so far - I'm after a sort of patchy, scrubby plains effect.  The thing is, these tiles will see a lot of use and abuse, so using more expensive terrain elements seems a bit excessive, which rules out silflor-type grass clumps.  I was originally intending to use astroturf, but it's a bit too tall and would simply end up coming off altogether.  So will flock, but that's easily replaced.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Brian, that was quick! One suggestion I've had is to wait until the flocked areas are dry, and then lightly drybrush them with a sort of sandy colour. That would make them blend in a bit more. At this point I'm not sure whether to do that or just leave them as is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The terrain looks good - very originally done. Works for the area in question for multiple periods. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dean, thanks for looking!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the med to me Paul I think it really works well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! I have been debating what my next set of armies will be as I have to collect both sides, anyway I have been looking at Selucids to fight my current armies or get a crap ton of Spartans and Greek hoplites and have a go at them. After looking at yours I think I will go the hoplite rout.
    thanks and cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tiles look good, cork works really well for rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could try spraying the tiles with watered down white glue to seal the flock on. Won't stop it coming off with handling, etc, but it might make them a bit more robust.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for looking, and for the positive comments. I might try a spray of some kind; I suppose a lot depends on how well the flock sticks to the textured paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a neat idea, never seen this before. Looks good and would like to see an overview picture of the board in the future. Great hoplites as well!

      Delete
  9. Hi MiniMike, thanks for looking. The difficulty will be disguising the joins between the panels as much as possible. I have a cunning plan, but it will probably be only a partial success.

    ReplyDelete