Monday 21 April 2014

Numidian Light Cavalry

Finished the figures our regular ancients players got me for my birthday:
These are by Navigator Miniatures.  There are three poses of men, one chucking javelins and two slightly different ones holding them.
I was further able to vary the look of them by taking advantage of the (historically accurate) lack of horse furniture.  The Numidians were such good horsemen that all they needed was a bit of rope and their knees to control their horses.
This gave me relative freedom to position the riders, so I made half of each pose lean in to the right, and the other half in the opposite direction, giving six variations in total.
The horses themselves are very nice, but they only come in one pose.  I positioned them differently on the bases so that they aren't all looking in quite the same direction.  I think the overall look is nicely varied.
You might think that these would be very simple to paint - just a horse and a guy in a tunic.  But the lack of any horse accoutrements meant that I couldn't disguise the horse, which meant that I spent a lot of time on the musculature.  Not so easy, then, but I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

Sixty of these guys takes my total for 2014 so far to 211 foot and 104 cavalry.  Next up: Numidians with elephants, and then Caesar's Romans.  Nasty.

12 comments:

  1. 60 cavalry in one go? You are a madman but the results are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a wonderful mass of Numidians! You have done a marvellous job of these Paul. I particularly like the shields. An impressive bunch of top cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid! And not simple, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Wow - this must be the entire army!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fabulous work, I especially love the horseflesh. Looks like a down-payment on painting up the Jugurthine War? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great guess, Monty! That's exactly what they will be for...

      Delete
    2. I'm not the best guesser (or gambler) so I'm surprised to be right. I can't remember the last time I saw a Numidian army in 28mm. I loved your Iberian project and I will love following this one too.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Monty. It will take a while, though - there is a small matter of 1,000 legionaries or so!

      Delete
  6. Great work, these look terrific. I struggled with 12, but 60!! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive stuff Paul, they look great. Great birthday pressie too.

    ReplyDelete